Sunday 2 September 2012

How (and Why) I Nearly Quit Teaching

As many of you know, I was voluntarily made redundant a couple of months back. As part of the ABC's policy, I was offered two very nice options: the first was to take the very nice sum of money they offered me, on the condition that I could not be employed by the ABC (Shop or elsewhere) for twelve months. The second was to be redeployed to either another shop or somewhere else within the ABC, but I wouldn't be eligible to receive the payout. Either way, the ABC gave me eight paid weeks to think about it, during which HR would regularly meet with me to discuss my options and try and find me work within the ABC. For that alone, I have an unending love for 'Aunty'. 

This eight week period coincided with my mid-year teaching placement, and so for that period of time I actually felt like teaching was my job. During the school holidays, I met with my HR guru from the ABC, and told her about a little show I was involved in called Omega Team. She seemed to like the idea, and put me in touch with one of the lead drama producers within the ABC. I was explicitly told not to expect anything major to come out of it, but it was cool to finally 'break through' and meet someone important.

So, one day during the school holidays, I met with this lady producer for coffee in Elsternwick. I told her about the idea, and the dilemma we (the team behind Omega Team) were facing: we've got this show, and it's great, but Film Victoria don't want to talk to us because we're 'new writers', and we just need someone to back us. Anyone. She told me outright that the chances of anyone talking to us were slim, and that we needed an Australian 'celebrity' on board for anyone to take us seriously. She suggested Peter Helliar, John Clarke, or Laura Waters (as a producer), and told me all three were very approachable and willing to listen to new ideas (most of the time).  "I can do that." I thought. Then she dropped a bombshell.

She offered me something I did not expect. "Do you know Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries?" she asked. 
I nodded eagerly, "Of course. It's all we sold for the last few weeks at the ABC." 
"Well, I could possibly set you up with a job in the writers' room."
I was flabbergasted. "Yes." I think I replied, or some version of it.
"The only problem is..."
"Uni." 
She nodded and took a sip. "They need someone five days a week, and you'd just be photocopying scripts, making coffee, running around for the writers and producers."
"I'd do it. But I'm at uni. Is there any way I can do it part time?"
"No." she bluntly replied. "They really need someone full time for the next few months."
"I'll think about it."

So, obviously I didn't take the offer. And here's why:

1. Uni. I love teaching, it's something that I'm sure you've heard me say before. If I was in 1st year, there is no question about deferring or quitting for this opportunity. But I'm in 3rd year, and know that if I deferred uni, there is no way I'd go back.

2. I would miss out on the nice payout. As a teacher I'm unlikely to see that amount of money at once ever again.

3. It would only be for a couple of months. After which I wouldn't be guaranteed another job. At least I know (at least almost certain) that in a little over a year I'll be fully qualified teacher with a stable job. 

4. I love teaching and I love writing. But at this point in time, teaching comes first. 

I actually came damn close to calling it quits at uni, and possibly turning my back on teaching for ever. In fact, I hazard to say that if I wasn't in the middle of some fantastic teaching rounds at the time, I would most likely have quit. 

So, where does that leave me now?  Well....I'm still writing (both essays and creatively), and having a good time doing both. Time management isn't a strength of mine, but the dream of doing both successfully is something I'm willing to work hard for. 

What do you think?




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the problems comes down to the fact that you're going to classes.

    ReplyDelete